Demartek Presents Storage Best Practices at SNW Europe 2010
31 August 2010
- Tuesday, October 26, 11:35 a.m.: Storage Best Practices for Microsoft Server Applications
- Tuesday, October 26, 12:15 p.m.: I/O Virtualization - The Next Virtualization Frontier
- Wednesday, October 27, 2:00 p.m.: Panel Discussion: FCoE - The Arrival of the New Data Center
Storage Best Practices for Microsoft Server Applications
Storage is critical for the primary Microsoft server-based applications, including Exchange Server, SQL Server and SharePoint Server. In this session, we will explore some of the basics of storage devices and interfaces, and the reasons for selecting each one. We will discuss a few of the best storage practices for each of the Microsoft applications, then we will show some performance data from the Demartek lab comparing the same Microsoft server application with Solid State Drives (SSD), Fibre-Channel and SAS disk drives and SATA disk drives.
Learning objectives include:
- Understand the various types of storage devices and the reasons for choosing each one.
- Understand the storage needs of the three primary Microsoft server-based applications: Exchange Server, SQL Server and Sharepoint Server.
- Understand how stripe size, format allocation size and other factors affect performance of these applications.
- See the differences in performance for the Microsoft server-based applications when using SSD, FC/SAS drives and SATA drives.
I/O Virtualization - The Next Virtualization Frontier
Do you use the full bandwidth in all of your server adapters, network interface cards, RAID controllers all the time? Or do you only need peak bandwidth for these adapters some of the time? Would you like to make a rack full of servers use only the storage and network adapters that they actually need, rather than having to put expensive cards in every server? I/O virtualization is emerging as a great way to virtualize your underused adapters across your server infrastructure. In this session, we will define I/O virtualization and how it complements server virtualization. We will discuss extending the PCI Express bus and InfiniBand bus and new standards such as SR-IOV and MR-IOV. We will also discuss how I/O Virtualization compares to technologies such as Fibre Channel NPIV, DCB and FCoE. As is customary, Dennis will discuss results of his early lab testing with these technologies.
Learning objectives include:
- Learn about I/O Virtualization and standards such as SR-IOV and MR-IOV.
- How I/O Virtualization works with server virtualization.
- Discuss good candidate environments for deploying I/O Virtualization.
Panel Discussion: FCoE - The Arrival of the New Data Center
Dennis will be moderating this discussion on Fibre Channel over Ethernet with other industry participants. For more information, please visit SNWEurope.net